Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Gifts That Give Back

Every Tuesday I am going to feature gifts that give back.   Early on in my career, I had the great privilege of working for Anita Roddick, the founder of the Body Shop who taught me so much about giving back.  Anita believed that donating money to organizations or communities was vital but helping communities through 'trade not aid' was equally important.  Connecting with people emotionally and providing them with a sustainable income was a cornerstone of the many of the projects she initiated.  That lesson really resonated with me and continues to influence me today.  I became passionate about many of the groundbreaking projects we did then from one of the first retail AIDS awareness campaigns to a far reaching 'reduce, reuse and recycle' campaign.

When I embarked upon my personal journey with Operation Smile, I wanted to help raise money but I also wanted to connect with the children and families as well as help donors connect to them. That is how the Three Little Bears was born.  Anita used to call it the 'story behind the product.'   Let people know how and why it is made and they are more likely to buy it.

Yesterday I went shopping in Sag Harbor and dropped in the Urban Zen store.  I bought a wonderful bag there made by designer Paula Coles.  It is made out of recycled t-shirts and it a beautiful bright blue. It retails for $180 and benefits scholarship to a child in Haiti.  A perfect first gift to feature on my blog.  If you have an item that should be highlighted, please let me know.   If you buy one of the items featured here be sure and let them know where you heard about it.  #triggerhappiness

Have a great day.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback!